This easy to make sauce forms the base for many Syn-free dishes.
Syns per serving: Syn-free on Original and Extra Easy
• Fry Light
• 450gm (1lb) extra lean beef, turkey, pork or lamb mince
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 400gm can chopped tomatoes
• freshly ground black pepper
1. Tip the mince and onion into a large, non-stick frying pan sprayed with Fry Light. Set the pan over a moderately high heat.
2. Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, break the meat up so that it doesn't stick together in lumps.
3. Fry, stirring frequently, until the meat is browned and all the pieces are separated.
4. Tip in the canned tomatoes and break them up with the wooden spoon. Season well, then add extra flavouring ingredients and vegetables of your choice.
FLAVOURINGS FOR MINCE
• Dried herbs, and spices like ground cumin, grated nutmeg and paprika.
• Chopped vegetables which will add a depth of flavour as well as bulking out the sauce, such as chopped onion, chopped carrots, celery, deseeded and chopped peppers and sliced mushrooms.
• Tomato puree adds even more fruity tomato flavour when stirred in with canned tomatoes.
• Dry English mustard powder sprinkled in at the last minute enriches the taste.
• Bottled sauces like Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce add a savoury flavour.
3 WAYS WITH ONE SAUCE...
• Top the sauce with mashed potatoes for shepherd's or cottage pie.
• Layer in a dish with cheese sauce (remembering to count the Syns) and sheets of lasagne for baked lasagne.
• Serve spooned over a bowl of spaghetti or other pasta, sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese (taken as a Healthy Extra A choice).